Monday, March 13, 2017

The Battle of Los Angeles Part 4: Bangin’ on those Bongos like a Chimpanzee

          I’ve been playing music in bands since I was 15. All through high school, I was in punk and blues bands and I got a varsity letter for being the drummer of the school’s jazz ensemble my senior year. By no means was I the most talented member of any of these groups. Some of the people I played with would go on to be professional musicians, including my friend Michael who played guitar in jazz band and whose band was in Rolling Stone when I decided to apply to USC and move to LA. In all these groups, I experienced the unique, intimate connection which comes when one plays music with other people. The players connect in a manner which is difficult to articulate in words and virtually impossible for someone who doesn’t engage in collaborative art to understand. To quote The Loving Spoonful, “it’s like trying to tell a stranger ‘bout rock and roll.”  Maybe if you’ve done improv you get it, or maybe if you were part of a choreographed dance team. Maybe. A profound metaphysical connection happens among the players of a band as they jam, write music and perform. With no one have I ever felt a stronger metaphysical musical connection than with my friend Gary. 


I bought the drum set I brought to LA on Criagslist. It was a random Saturday morning and I was browsing the instruments for sale section when I saw a post from an angry mother. She had bought a high-end Tama Starclassic kit for her son on the assumption his grades would improve. Well, when report cards came out, they had not improved, so she was interested in selling it ASAP as a means of punishment. I paid $600 for a kit which retailed for $1,800. It sounded even better than the deal I got. 


When I arrived in LA, I set the kit up in my bedroom with muted pads. I could practice at any time of day and Katie wouldn’t hear a note. While the bedroom was great for me to practice in alone, Gary and I obviously couldn’t jam there. As luck would have it, he was in another band at the time and they had a rehearsal space downtown. Gary picked me up and we went to play. I had to be very careful with the kit at the rehearsal space because we were using it without the drummer’s permission. It was in this downtown rehearsal studio Gary and I birthed our LA band, which would be known by several different names, but in those early days was called Gun Show. 


After a few jam sessions downtown, Gary and I had written two songs. Well, Gary had written two songs which I improved with drum parts and suggested changes to the arrangement, as was our writing process. This was in the days of MySpace and the feeling was that if we could get our music recorded and posted up there, we might be able to find the bass player and second guitarist we wanted to round out our sound, then we could start to play gigs, build a following and eventually end up opening for Michael’s band and/or with our pictures in Rolling Stone. At the time, neither of us knew how to record digitally so we had to find a studio where we could lay some tracks. As luck would have it, our buddy Dexter, another friend from high school working to make music his career, had gotten into digital recording and could put the tracks down for us. The only problem was Dexter was back in Virginia.  


            Over the holidays, I went home and Gary flew back East. Looking back, I like that we flew back to where we first started playing together to record for the first time. Gary and I laid down the two tracks at Dexter’s house and it was awesome. It was especially meaningful to record with Dexter for two reasons. One, we recorded at Dexter’s parents’ house, where I had sat in on rehearsals when I was younger, watching Dexter and the rest of my friends play music in bands I wasn’t in. Two, Dexter had been playing drums since he was a little kid and he was the person who kept me practicing. It didn’t matter how many hours I spent improving, Dexter was always better. Watching him drum taught me how to drum and made me work harder. It was so cool to lay those first two tracks with him. He even said he was impressed with my playing and I felt like maybe Gary and I had a shot at being successful.  


            I pity anyone who rode in my car the January after we recorded our two songs because they are all I listened to, all month long. Gary had played both guitars and bass, and he sang on the tracks. I played drums and helped with arrangement. The music was good and the songwriting was stellar. A lack of talent was never our problem. We knew we had to add more members to round out our sound and we knew we needed our own rehearsal space. We found a spot on Hollywood Boulevard where we could split a lockout room for $500 a month. I moved my gear in and we set up shop there. The acoustics were terrible, there was no elevator for loading and unloading gear and the parking situation was a nightmare, the sounds of other bands playing bled into the halls and even into our room, but we had our own space in Hollywood. We stopped having band practice and started rehearsing.  


            For a while, it was just me and Gary. He’d pick me up and we’d go rehearse. We made half-ass attempts to find other musicians, but I was in grad school, Gary had a day job and we were both pretty lazy when it came to our music. Through grad school, I met a guy named John who also played music and seemed like he’d be a good fit for the band. Though he was a guitarist, we convinced him to play bass for us. With John, we now had a trio and, after months of rehearsals and songwriting, we had a full enough sound to take to the stage.  


            Our first show was, appropriately enough, at a venue called The Cocaine. Well, to call it a ‘venue’ is generous since it was a Chinese restaurant that became a place bands played at night.  “The Cocaine” wasn’t even on a real sign, it was hand-written on a piece of paper taped to the door. By this time, we were calling ourselves Bellevue Arms after an apartment building in LA where Gary had lived when he first moved to town. We had a pretty good turnout of people John and I knew from grad school and friends of Gary’s. The band played okay. I remember one of my cymbal stands fell over during our last song; but, aside from that, the show went well. As a band, we decided we needed to record more songs and get our MySpace page in order.  


            Our ‘studio’ consisted of GarageBand run on a MacBook and two Shure 57 mics. We had to record all the instruments separately because of sound bleeding and a lack of mics, which meant I had to lay drum tracks by myself, completely by memory. We pointed the two mics at the drum kit to capture sound and I played the songs alone, with Gary and John listening in, playing along silently on their instruments to make sure I made no mistakes. I cannot express to you how hard it is to play the drum parts of a song at perfect tempo without hearing that song at all. But I did it.  


            Gary being the most spiritually awake member of the band at the time, and the member most responsible for our creative output, he didn’t want to record his guitar parts or vocal tracks in our stifling, cramped, dark lockout in Hollywood. As luck would have it, his friend Melinda was house sitting for her boss in Silverlake. Gary recorded the guitars and vocals in this inspiring, tree-lined hillside abode. It was at this same house where we took some band photos. The only thing I remember about the photoshoot was that both John and I were violently ill. I cannot for the life of me remember why the shoot was so urgent we had to do it while we were sick, but that’s just how things felt at the time. It felt urgent for us to get more music on MySpace. It felt urgent for us to play more shows. Foolish as it may appear in hindsight, I had a genuine feeling this band, which was now called The Gravelights, could be something and that Big Things were going to happen for us. (This feeling was probably just anxiety, Los Angeles runs on the stuff). 


            The first ‘real’ show The Gravelights played was also our last. It was at a venue called Safari Sam’s on Sunset, which is now closed. They had a real sign but it was a bringer show, which meant we had to bring at least 30 people or we wouldn’t get paid. Gary was anxious and high-strung, John was drunk and a bit aloof and I still feel like we played great. From my perspective, I’d never played a venue where the drums sounded so good and I made absolutely no mistakes in playing my parts. People were genuinely impressed with the songwriting, musicianship and lyrics. Numerous people remarked we were the best ‘my friend’s band’ they’d ever seen. A couple sexual escapades aside, this show was the closest I’d ever come to feeling like a rock star. 28 people came to see us so we didn’t get paid.  


            After that, it all fell apart. Tensions had been rising between John and Gary and I ended up feeling like I was five years old again going through my parents’ divorce. John complained to me about Gary; Gary complained to me about John; I got drunk and high and told them each what I thought they wanted to hear, the same way I’d been handling my divorced parents for the last few years. Eventually, John quit but Gary and I had been working up the nerve to fire him. (Fire him from a band where none of us ever got paid). When Gary lost his job, I talked him into working hard for the band. I bought some mics and a USB interface that would allow us to record 8 channels at once. This meant we could elaborately mic the drums and should have meant I could play to a backing track, but we could never quite figure it out. I ended up having to play the parts alone again, but this time I at least had a click track in my ear to help me keep tempo. We recorded everything we had written, planning to release an album called “Let’s Pretend This Never Happened.  


            I had never recorded music in this manner before and it changed the way I heard music forever. Hearing the instruments individually layered on top of one another altered my perception. I cannot listen to guitar based songs today without remembering these recording sessions and thinking about Gary and how our collaboration literally changed the way I hear one of the most important art forms in my life. I choose not to remember how hard things got making those recordings. I choose not to think about how Gary and I got angry with each other and how our friendship almost fell apart. I choose not to think about my pettiness and the day I deleted him as a friend on MySpace. I choose not to think about how frustrated I am we never finished recording those songs. At the time, Gary said he was ‘just not in the right headspace to focus on the band,’ which bothered me until the day I left LA. That day, literally my last night in town, I sat with Gary on the porch of the place he shared with Melinda, who was now his girlfriend, and listened as he expressed frustrations about the singer in a new band, a band that is better than The Gravelights and should have made it, whatever that means. The singer, Gary said, was feeling ‘like he wasn’t in the right headspace to focus on the band,’ and I laughed and laughed, knowing Gary was feeling the same helpless frustrations I had felt two years prior. The upside of collaborative art is it involves working with other people; this is also its downside.   


            After Gary and my recording sessions fizzled, I looked to play with other people in LA. I auditioned for a couple of bands and was told I didn’t have the right look. To my credit, I never punched anyone who said that to me, but man did I want to. My albinism was thrown in my face again and again and again as a reason not to include me in an art form, the quality of which is based solely on the sound produced by its players. But because I didn’t have the look of some skinny, dark-haired dude in Interpol I wasn’t cool enough in the eyes of these superficial ingrates and there was nothing I could do about it. To the surprise of no one, nothing ever became of any of the bands who turned me away because of my albinism.  


I played with this punk chick who loved X (the band) and wasn’t that talented but wrote songs so good I still catch myself humming them even though I don’t remember her name. Through her, I met this awesome bass player who was also from Virginia. He had some of the same musical tastes as us. He loved both Idlewild (Gary’s favorite band at the time) and The Makers (my favorite band at the time), which is statistically impossible, so I arranged a jam session for the three of us, hoping to reignite The Gravelights. I played poorly and Gary seemed disinterested. There was no connection. After that, Gary and I got rid of the lockout. We had other things going on. He was still looking for work and my tire fire of a writing career was about to get burning. I sold the mics and recording gear and eventually I sold my drums for the same $600 I paid for them. Gary and I played one other time together, but it was as the hired gun rhythm section for one of our friend Michael’s new projects. We played one show two weeks before I left LA.  Maybe 20 people showed up.  We played fine. Hired guns who didn’t get paid.  To quote Fiona Apple, “Nothing wrong when a song ends in a minor key.”  Gary and I are still friends, which is what actually matters. 


No comments:

Post a Comment