Monday, December 5, 2016

Context is Everything and You're Not You


Context is Everything

Most people only have to meet me once and they remember me forever. I guess as a whip smart, handsome, foulmouth albino dude whose temperament falls dead center between that of a sensitive, delicate artist and a drunken frat bro I'm somewhat of an oddity. Or maybe folks just remember my shocking white hair and how good I talk. Either way, people have always had an easy time remembering me. On the contrary, I don't recognize anyone because I can't remember what anybody looks like. Although, that's a bit of a misrepresentation. The truth is: I can't remember what anyone looks like because I never knew in the first place. 

In college, I had a reputation as a world class snubber. I never said hello to anyone I passed on campus or saw at bars or parties and I think people just thought I was a jerk, which I was; but I didn't mean to snub everybody! It's nothing personal, I just don't recognize faces. Given my eyesight, most people look about the same to me, or similar enough to be cast into groups. Blonde Girls, Brown Haired Dudes, Gingers, Hot Girls, Dudes I Could Fight and Win, Dudes I Could Fight and Lose, Dudes I Probably Shouldn't Fight – you don't need to know all the intricacies of my system. The point is, once I know the type of person you are, I'm generally able to recognize you, but only in context. So, the Tall Guy at work is Brad, the Tall friend of my friends is Ryan and the Beautiful Woman I'm married to is Amanda. The problem comes when I see people out of context. 

After I finished grad school I was working at a liquor store in LA, which I know is a very weird and kind of depressing sentence. One day a man came up to me and asked about Scotch. I took him over to the Scotch case, thinking his voice seemed somewhat familiar. I helped him pick out a Scotch aged in port barrels and he introduced himself to me as Jeff Melvoin. Well, introduced isn't the right word because we'd known each other for three years. Jeff had been my Professor at USC, one of the best Professors I ever had and the Professor I most try to emulate when I teach writing courses. What's worse, Jeff had been my Mentor after USC, I'd gone to his house in Brentwood where we drank bourbon and talked TV and guitars and he gave me notes on a pilot script I was writing. This man was a personal role model, friend and one-time colleague, one of the most influential people in my adult life and I looked at him like a stranger. I was as humiliated in the moment as I am remembering it now, and not just because I had an MFA and a job at a liquor store. 

Now, as a Professor myself, I teach between 100 and 150 new students every quarter. Every 12 weeks or so, I meet hundreds of new faces I'll never recognize but who will be able to spot me ten blocks away for the rest of our lives. When I'm at school, I can share a smile with these people and at least think the Girl With Glasses I'm smiling at in the halls is the same Girl With Glasses from my classes, but outside of school, things are different. On five separate occasions, current or former students have seen me out in the wild and said hello and I have greeted each of them as if I were seeing a purple unicorn walking on a lake of frozen green fire. I wish I could apologize to these students individually, but I don't know who any of them were. 

"You're Not You"  
This has probably happened to you. You're walking down the street when you see someone you think you know. This person starts waving. You smile, become sure you know this person and convinced they must be waving at you. You wave back, only to approach the person and have him or her walk right past you, at which point you realize the person was actually waving at someone behind you. You don't know them at all. Red faced, you probably walk on a bit faster, embarrassment quickening your steps. Because of my poor eyesight, this false recognition happens to me all the time and in way more embarrassing ways than just waving at the wrong stranger. 

In High school, I was friends with a Vietnamese kid named Ha, which probably sounds a little made up. Ha often wore a red Polo and baggy jeans. As most high school boys, we had a relationship built on dick jokes, basketball and belittling each others mothers. The first day of sophomore year I saw Ha at his locker, red Polo and all, so I walked up to him and greeted him as was customary for high school sophomores: I smacked him in the back of the head. It was at this point I realized it wasn't Ha. I had just smacked Stanley, who played football and wrestled. If I had been a smaller dude in high school I probably would have gotten my ass kicked, but I was a big fat hulking monster and Stanley was more confused than anything about why the Stay Puff Marshmallow man from Ghostbusters had just smacked him upside the head. I remember him asking, calm and plain as day, “Hey, man, why you smacking me?” 

“Sorry, you're not you,” is all I could think to mutter before stomping away and wanting to kill myself even more than was customary in tenth grade. 

My problem of mistaken identity would follow me through my 20s, when it was complicated by the fact I Drank. I'd go out, get lit, get a girl's number and call her a few days later. We'd agree to meet for drinks and I'd always have to get there early because I would never, ever remember what the woman looked like. A few times I was quite surprised, as I'd been expecting a blond and a brunette showed up; or I thought I'd chatted up a hippie chick and my date turned out to be a punk, or I thought it was a girl I'd never met before and it turned out to be someone from a writing workshop in college. That last one was probably more to due with the Drinking than the eyesight. Once the world starting dating online, things only got worse for me. I'd stand in front of the bar where the girl I'd picked based on her best thumbnail had agreed to meet me and look desperately at every woman who even remotely resembled the picture I'd squinted to see online. I'd smile at a super cute girl, hoping, praying she was my date, only to have her walk right past me just before my uglier actual date showed up, covered in acne, cat hair and claiming to be a nerd even though she sure seemed like an idiot. 

Now that I've successfully tricked a woman into marrying me by being charming and awesome, there are still many other social situations impacted by this false recognition. One time in my 30s I thought I recognized my friend's girlfriend at Starbucks. I knew she worked in the same building as the Starbucks, so I thought this proximity raised the probability that the blond woman I was staring at was, in fact, Erin. Well, when I walked up to this woman and said, “Hey Erin, what's up?” she just looked at me like I was crazy and slinked away. Admittedly, running away upon seeing me didn't necessarily mean this girl wasn't my friend's girlfriend, but something in this other blond woman's eye roll was unfamiliar, so I'm sure it wasn't Erin. I've also subsequently asked Erin about it and she insists this wasn't her. 

That experience with Anti-Erin taught me a lot. I no longer go up to people in Starbucks and say hello. Even when I'm 99% sure I recognize someone now, I'm way too shy and scared of humiliating myself. In that same Starbucks where Erin wasn't Erin, I often think I see colleagues because one of the colleges where I teach is right across the street. But I never, ever say hello to anyone because I'm too afraid of being wrong. Instead, I wait for them to say hello to me. It's a good, safe policy which keeps me from being humiliated and sometimes means I get to cut the line when colleagues call me over. But it also might be hurting my career. See, sometimes I think I see the Dean of my college in that same Starbucks and I worry he sees me and thinks I'm snubbing him. But it could just as easily be any smart looking, middle aged white dude. Guess one of these days I'll have to smack him on the back of the head to find out if it's the Dean.

No comments:

Post a Comment